User Tag List

Thread: Changing anSR20 into a GA16 DE body N14

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing anSR20 into a GA16 DE body N14

I'm new today and not sure if I'm posting in the right section
    I have done a straight swop of engines on an N15 before.
    This time I have a nN14 with a blown head.
    I have managed to buy an N14 with an SR 20 engine with only 150 on the clock. It looks like a straight swop for engine and box. My concern is the wiring and Ecu etc. The speedo is also different
    Is there anyone who has done this or someone who can point me in the right direction?
    I would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive done it, since you have a donner car you'll be pretty sweet. its pretty straight forward, just need to swap a few brackets for engine mounts. the engine loom and ecu will talk to the speedo, worked fine for me. had to swap the water temp sensor in the sr to run the ga one (the dash reads hot if you use the sr one) just need to do some small wiring near the relay box, as the plugs arent wired the same way engine loom to body loom. but its fairly easy to make it work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much
    Just so I understand:I use the SR20 engine mount brackets onto the ga16 body
    Yes:I noticed the connectors in front of the fuse/ relay box on drivers side are different.
    Is it possible to transplant the speedo cluster? I ask because when I transplanted the N15 engine the speedos where different and had odd connectors. This time with the N14s the SR kms are considerably lower. So would like to swop if pos.
    Thank you for replying so quick. More food for thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah use the gear box mount bracket from the sr, in the ga body. the bolt holes are already in the chassis. the other ones bolt in with out changing anything.
    since we did the conversion i have changed the dash cluster, purely so that i have a tacho. i left the ga cluster in the car, checked with the speedo app and a gps so check if it was right.
    but just swap all the mechanical stuff, you're really in a good situation so have both cars there should make things a lot easier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate. I'll make a start soon and keep you posted with progress. Unfortunately work and study gets in the way of fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after many weekends I have managed to fit the SR20 . Thanks to you Leesss you saved me from a few time wasting redos.
    Took the old engine out as well as loom. swopped the passenger mount as you said.
    I even took the donner cars carpet and seats ...looks so much better on the interior.
    I'm now having a bit of a brain freeze and a little procrastination ....need some help with the wiring to the fuse box.
    I still have the GA16 fuse box on the drivers side.
    The loom from the SR seems to have two different plugs. There is a long grey plug that seems to fit in the middle....after that I am a little lost
    Can you remember what you did?
    Would really appreciate any help from you or anyone in the know
    At the moment I running back and forth between the donner car and the other one trying to figure out how to do it .....I'm going bald from scratching my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we left the drivers side fuse box in the car too, but where the loom has the 3 plugs we unpinned them and repinned them in the right spots to work. not sure what we did sorry. we did have the wiring diagrams so that made it alot easier. sorry i cant be more help than that

good to see you got the engine and drive line in and your so close to having it going

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for long delay. It's been a nightmare. I ended up doing a complete transplant. Engine loom didn't match under dash.. Took seats and carpet out as well as whole dash. Needed to bring air con and fan boxes out of way to access all dash loom. All looms swapped. All reinstalled to find the SR 20 cluster kms was bust. $70 for auto elec to replace tiny rotten cog. Finally got it on road to find it bunny hopping. Stalling. Surging. Took throttle apart and cleaned. No change. Redid sparks. Put in new leads. Changed fuel filter. Swooped fuel pumps. No change. Cleaned map sensor. No change. Finally got to disconnecting stuff while engines running. It was the throttle position sensor. TPS.
    Also found the new high pressure steering hose leaking at top joint. I hate those copper washers ... Haven't figured out if you tighten them up real tight or what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithone View Post
    Also found the new high pressure steering hose leaking at top joint. I hate those copper washers ... Haven't figured out if you tighten them up real tight or what.
    You can't reuse copper washers - that's the most common problem

I didn't think the power steering used copper washers (they are more common on brake lines) - normally alloy washers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the high pressure pipe. The connection is attached on a brace secured to the drivers side next to the strut. This is where the hose connects to the metal pipe has two copper washers one either side of the connection. Hope this makes sense ??