User Tag List

Thread: SSS Gti-R brake upgrade suggestions please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSS Gti-R brake upgrade suggestions please?

Hey guys!

about to start my rebuild on my GtiR engine (to put into my n14 SSS)

was thinking of putting th gtir rears on the back and upgrading to 4 pot for front, just not sure what option to take? have heard 4stud r33 and fairlady calipers is a common swap with n16 hub?
    but what brake set up would you guys recommend?

thanks in advance =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	289 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	1142

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ-SSS View Post
    Was thinking of putting th gtir rears on the back and upgrading to 4 pot for front, just not sure what option to take? have heard 4stud r33 and fairlady calipers is a common swap with n16 hub?
    but what brake set up would you guys recommend?
    Putting 4 pots on the front and Gti-r brakes on the rear is a bad idea, I speak from experience and I've crunched the numbers through a brake bias calculator and you end up with an inefficient brake setup,
    (@Bengineering and I have explained this in detail on page 2 of the N14 Rear Brake Upgrade Info thread)

Putting gti-r front and rear brakes on gives you a good front to rear brake bias that almost like stock,
    I would recommend this, along with slotted and dimpled rotors, good fluid and good brake pads, and if you feel like it braided lines too
    Last edited by Boosted VLAD; 11-01-2016 at 10:34 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boosted VLAD For This Useful Post:

SSS_Hoon (11-01-2016)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted VLAD View Post
    Putting 4 pots on the front and Gti-r brakes on the rear is a bad idea, I speak from experience and I've crunched the numbers through a brake bias calculator and you end up with an inefficient brake setup,
    (@Bengineering and I have explained this in detail on page 2 of the N14 Rear Brake Upgrade Info thread)

Putting gti-r front and rear brakes on gives you a good front to rear brake bias that almost like stock,
    I would recommend this, along with slotted and dimpled rotors, good fluid and good brake pads, and if you feel like it braided lines too
    thanks for the insight bro! what would be the next bigger brake upgrade from the gti-r setup? i would like to have something a bit more powerful and fill the rim out a bit more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer function over form myself, its also good to keep unsprung mass down, in my opinion the gtir setup would be more than adequate if you don't run spastic power,

The next step up would be N16 front hubs, re-drilled Maxima 280mm discs with maxima twin pot calipers,
    Along with gti-r rear calipers on maxima sliders with maxima 280mm rear rotors with the stud pattern re drilled and hubs slightly spaced to match the hat height,

Only problem being that you are limited in pad selection for the front, but this setup retains the factory handbrake cables and good brake bias
    Last edited by Boosted VLAD; 14-01-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted VLAD View Post
    The next step would be really really good pads, STOP-TECH or Project Mu's for example.
    Unless you have ABS there isn't really any point going bigger then GTI-R because it just becomes lock up city.
    You could change your brake master for a different feel etc but I've never even been in a GTI-R that has had bigger brakes itself, and I've been in some bloody quick GTI-R's.

Like Boosted VLAD said, it's all about the feel, and in such a small car if you have something that is working to* good you're just going to lock up everywhere no matter how much you try not to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    Unless you have ABS there isn't really any point going bigger then GTI-R because it just becomes lock up city.
    Why ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzm0 View Post
    Why ?
    In my experience when you're using big brakes in small cars without ABS, it just becomes extremely difficult to not "brake steer" or lock up slightly before a corner because mentally you think you can brake later and take bigger risk.

In a street car, good road tyres (think Federal 595 range as an example) and good pads will be more then enough, even for when you're blasting it up the hills. If you're brakes feel spongy then upgrade the master (way cheaper then doing a brake kit) and add ducting to keep your **** cool.

If it's a track car more then it is road car, I'd still stand by what I've said above (just what I've always found has worked for my cars).
    A turbo SSS is going to be quick, but it's not going to be I need to stop in 40 meters doing 150km/h quick.

I never get why people have this strange mindset that bigger brakes will be amazing. If you have good tyres and decent pads 9 out of 10 times you'll be right in a street (even track car with rego) car. The only car I've ever modded the brakes on more then just really good pads was my WRX. Even then it was a different master and braided lines, leaving stock disc.

In my old EG civic all I did was disc rear and better pads / master, again it made a world of difference.
    This is all just purely on my track experience and driving style, each to their own! .