PDA

View Full Version : N14 hatch locking latch - rattle, rattle, rattle.

PhilSSStevenson
02-07-2016, 11:44 AM
The rear hatch latch has been rattling for years. Some time back I placed two pieces of foam on either side of the bottom latch, and would slam the hatch down until it locked.

Is there a better way to fix the hatch lock rattle permanently? Surely the Red Jett is not the only one to have this annoying rattle.

Any help?

Cheers...

Paullus
02-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Check that the latch ring at the bottom is tight in it's mounting plate. I've seen one wear loose and cause rattles.

(not actual n14 latch catch, but example of the part I'm referring to above).

PhilSSStevenson
06-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Check that the latch ring at the bottom is tight in it's mounting plate. I've seen one wear loose and cause rattles.

(not actual n14 latch catch, but example of the part I'm referring to above).

Thanks Paullus,

Had a look just then. Noticed the 'U' bit was a bit wobbly. I decided to put 1mm spacer washers between the latch-catch and Jett's body panel.
Thinking that the mini increase in height might do the deal.

Screwed down tight. Added latch grease both top and bottom and closed hatch!
Opps, I thought, what if I can't open it again, or if the latch release cable might snap… Stress for 30 seconds, then peace, as the latch released immediately.

Also placed a slice of 130mm x 10mm black tubing sponge on either side of the latch. This time, with the rarely used heavy-handed, thump down hatch closure routine, it stayed firm and solid.

I never open the rear hatch. You should have seen the spider webs at the top hinges. It is spotless now.

Thanks again, just donated $10 for the cause.

Phil.