PDA

View Full Version : Just got my hands on an LX N16...

rayjaymor85
17-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Hey Guys!

So, I just inherited a 2001 Nissan Pulsar from my Uncle.
It's a bit of a change from the Ford Falcon I've had for the last 8 years that is right about to crap itself... but with the Falcon I knew it inside out -- the Pulsar not so much!

Anyway -- so yeah she seems to run okay, all good there -- but the heater won't turn off! The fans turn off all right, but there is always crap tonnes of heat coming through the vents.

I've checked the temperature control cable, it's attached to the knob and seems to be extending and retracting, but I can't see where the cable leads off to.

I'm hoping to not have to pull the whole dash out to check where it leads to, is there an easy way to check the heater flap, or do I need to spend a few hours with a screw driver?

Also on an unrelated note... the chassis frame that holds the car stereo appears to be self grounding (I've never seen that before!) --- I'm about to rip the amplifier and subwoofer out of the old Falcon and whack it into my Pulsar. Can I be lazy and run the grounding cable for the amplifier to that chassis piece, or is it still recommended I cut up some carpet and bolt it to a cleaned section of the floor? (I don't want to run the amp all the way to the boot, WAAAY too much wiring).

Speaking of Amp... in the Falcon you could cheat with inserting the power cable for the amp and run it through the accelerator cable grommet in the firewall... is there any decent pre-existing grommets in the N16? (Confession: I haven't even bothered to check for myself yet, so if turns out there is f***ing heaps, I apologise in advance).

Cheers!

Leroy Peterson
18-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Not sure on the N16 but the cable should control a flap that directs air through (or bypassing) the heater core. Probably only visible with the cabin aircon box removed... Worth removing a bit of stuff behind the glove box just to see what you can find

rayjaymor85
14-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Not sure on the N16 but the cable should control a flap that directs air through (or bypassing) the heater core. Probably only visible with the cabin aircon box removed... Worth removing a bit of stuff behind the glove box just to see what you can find

Thanks for that!

Took a look and it looks like to close the heater flap there is a spring that puts pressure on the cable when you loosen it. The spring seems to be mostly worn, so just reinforced it with some elastic. :-)