PDA

View Full Version : gti-r diff issues

RSR200
19-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Hi I have recently purchased a second gti-r
Before I purchased the car it was sitting for some time
On the drive home I noticed at very slow speed while turning I hear
Clunk clunk from the rear diff sort of like a locker diff any idea what it could be
The car has no mods besides Coilover suspension

Give in
20-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Sounds like it has a nismo or aftermarket 2 way lsd. Nice score

RSR200
20-03-2016, 02:13 PM
How can I tell without opening it up

sss4me
20-03-2016, 03:14 PM
How can I tell without opening it up

put it on a 2-poster in neutral and turn a rear wheel, if the other side goes the same way, its a lsd. if it goes the other, maybe time for a rebuild.

gtir_woody
20-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Agreed, hopefully its nothing major mate :)

Cozzm0
22-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Stock is VLSD and it will act the same way with the wheel turn test enzo. A better test is jack 1 rear wheel off the ground and try to turn it. a mechanical LSD will exhibit a much higher level of resistance (to the point of almost not being able to turn it) than a VLSD.

I beleive its most likely going to be an aftermarket mechanical LSD though, rather than a problem with the diff. The sound is very common/normal for that. Different oils can reduce the noise. I've found that having other LSDs installed (such as an upgraded centre as well) will make this noise even worse/more aggressive, but it depends on what diff is installed.

a borescope might be able to get up into the casing when/if you do an oil change. IF you get one of those fancy digital ones that takes pictures i'm sure someone could ID the casing if you take some pics of it.