PDA

View Full Version : Nissan skyline wins...

PhilSSStevenson
08-01-2016, 02:43 PM
I actually watched this race live on Channel 7 in 1989… I’ve always remembered five things about watching this race (and the 6-pack I drank during it also)…

1. That beautiful looking NISSAN Skyline HR31 GTS-R, with the magic Nissan RB20DET-R in-line 6 cylinder, wining the race. Those flames shooting out the left hand side. I have a pic of me standing next to it in Perth (Wanneroo Park/Barbagallo Raceway) 1989.

2. The last minute of the race, with Mike Raymond calling out, “George, Hang on to her!"

3. Peter Brock's amazing recovery from a corner 360 degree spin.

4. A Holden VL Commodore SS Group A SV (Walkinshaw), leading a round of the ATCC.

5. The miserable cold winter’s day at Winton, Victoria.

Bonus with Alan Moffat doing commentary.

Nissan's tour de force, three car assault…

Loved it and have always wanted to see it again somehow.

Cheers…

enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuk0Wz3Zg_E
and, watch at least the first eight minutes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3rOoTwgRYs

Sprog
10-01-2016, 02:17 PM
I love it… Walkinshaws, Toyota Spinters, Mitzi Starions. My old man loved it too.

That Skyline was hot.

gtir_woody
10-01-2016, 03:02 PM
That's so cool. I forget how far tv broadcast has come over time aswell lol

Sprog
11-01-2016, 01:38 PM
So true about the 1989 TV broadcast. It was a hoot! Great names of Aussie motor sport - Peter Brock, George Fury, Mark Skafe, Jim Richards, Dick Jonson, John Bowe, and so on.

My old man went insane about it and has sent the URL to his mates as well. He remembered the mixed classes of cars. He is not a great follower of V8 Supercars because he says they are all the same old, same old.

Any more vintage vids?

PhilSSStevenson
25-06-2016, 02:36 PM
needs a bump…. Nissan's tour de force, three car assault…

PhilSSStevenson
24-09-2017, 03:11 PM
needs another bump…. Nissan's tour de force, three car assault…

Not to be missed. Peter Brock said after the race on TV, that it was one of his most enjoyable of all time.

PhilSSStevenson
09-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Another bump . . . :)

PhilSSStevenson
24-08-2023, 12:42 PM
In ya face . . .