PDA

View Full Version : n14 radiator options n benifits.

SSS_Hoon
28-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Basically would like to know what radiator is needed for a jap spec SSS, as in inlet and outlet sizes and overall dimensions, as there is a few different options on eBay without too much info in them.

I currently have a 10mm core and would like a 26mm one, worried having that with the stock fan setup i wont have enough room with det setup.

For a turbo daily with working air con, would a 26mm single core radiator be sufficient? being stuck in stop start traffic in both hot and cold times of the day.

Next question, alloy radiators are they really 30% better then the non alloy ones? Whats the pros and cons of having a alloy radiator.

Then fans. Is there a aftermarket stock type replacement with better flow etc

Cheers

Damo

Boosted VLAD
29-11-2015, 09:30 AM
In my jappy, I have had all 4 radiators, 10mm, 16mm, 26mm, 50mm alloy,
I prefer the 26mm as it allows me to use stock fans, clear everything, and it was half the price of the 50mm ones, and the car runs the same temps on it, (so its no not 30% better in my own experience)

The million dollar question with your car is how much room do you have between your radiator and whichever parts you're concerned about hitting
Give it a measure,

Also remember, the radiator stays centred so if your go from say a 10mm to a 26mm,
That's an extra 16mm of core overall, but only 8mm on either side

I've also tried aftermarket fans and nothing has worked better than stock ones,
The main reason is that they don't have a shroud which is the most important part to drawing air through the entire core, and they also almost always exaggerate the CFM rate, I'm sure there is top of the line stuff where 2 fans would cost $500 but it's not worth it,
My car makes a fair few ponies and I live in a hot climate, if a 26mm radiator works for me with stock fans it should work for anyone

I have both fans hooked up to a relay and have them both turn on via a thermostatic switch (50 cents from Jaycar)
(Note I don't have AC)

Hope that helps you Damo

Ruddigger
29-11-2015, 09:54 AM
I have a PWR with two spal fans, never once has the car ever looked like over heating. however i do have a very effective oil cooler too.

Having the air con on with a front mount , i would always think bigger is better.

As an experiment ill put an air flow meter across JAPSSS and the stocker and measure the difference

Boosted VLAD
29-11-2015, 10:19 AM
That's a good setup but a lot of $$$
PWR radiator, 2 Spal fans and a oil cooler, surely it wasn't cheap but that is definitely a good setup,

I don't have AC and Mine is cheap and does the job so I can't complain :)

Ruddigger
29-11-2015, 01:38 PM
That's a good setup but a lot of $$$
PWR radiator, 2 Spal fans and a oil cooler, surely it wasn't cheap but that is definitely a good setup,

I don't have AC and Mine is cheap and does the job so I can't complain :)

Very true , Spaced out over a 5yr build it wasnt to bad. And back when i built JAPSSS there was very limited parts availably for the pulsars , Even using GTiR upgrades it was still a pain. I would have used a 26mm if that was round.

On a side note i did play with idea of fitting the spal fan into the stock N14 Stroud , They did fit however i think it pushed the depth of fans out from the rad to much

SSS_Hoon
29-11-2015, 09:36 PM
I also have a oil cooler on my car too.

26mm it is then. That is the one i was leaning towards.

If you could do that camparo with the japsss and the stocko that would be sweet. Although japsss has a w2a so no fmic in the way either.

Ruddigger
30-11-2015, 03:36 PM
I also have a oil cooler on my car too.

26mm it is then. That is the one i was leaning towards.

If you could do that camparo with the japsss and the stocko that would be sweet. Although japsss has a w2a so no fmic in the way either.

Yer but the W2A core is in front of the rad however its only 60mm thick