Thread: High idle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High idle?

Hi all,

Car 1999 N15 SSS S2.

On start up, car idles at 1500 making its way down to 1000 when warm in neutral at the lights.

Very occasionally it will sit at around 950 however its supposed to 800rpm from what i understand.

Obviously theres a lot of potential causes, was wondering where i should start and also is it even a issue to be worried about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put a can of this through the manifold.

http://pulsar.org.au/forums/showthre...at-recommended
    NISSAN Pulsar N14 SSS Oz spec - the SSS cult classic. Owned mine since 1992.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cold idle rpm is spot on.
    warm is 750rpm +/-50rpm i think.
    if you've got cams, a little more is good.
    if its not bothering you, leave it. stalling everwhere is the polar opposite problem and much worse.
    if you want to correct it, and your timing is spot on 15deg at idle, and you've got no air leaks anywhere (very hard to tell) then you can LOCK THE TIMING and ADJUST THE IDLE SCREW DOWN to suit.
    consult the forum tech section on exactly how to do that.
    quality is remembered long after price is forgotten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilSSStevenson View Post
    I would put a can of this through the manifold.

http://pulsar.org.au/forums/showthre...at-recommended
    Quote Originally Posted by sss4me View Post
    cold idle rpm is spot on.
    warm is 750rpm +/-50rpm i think.
    if you've got cams, a little more is good.
    if its not bothering you, leave it. stalling everwhere is the polar opposite problem and much worse.
    if you want to correct it, and your timing is spot on 15deg at idle, and you've got no air leaks anywhere (very hard to tell) then you can LOCK THE TIMING and ADJUST THE IDLE SCREW DOWN to suit.
    consult the forum tech section on exactly how to do that.
    Thanks for the reply guys.

For some reason running BP Ultimate 98 seems to have fixed the problem, idles around ~800 when fully warmed up in neutral now!

I guess its nice to have a win every now and then.

I think i will clean out the manifold, service records from 20,000kms ago mentioned car was running rough and intake was cleaned as a remedy.

So i should just spray it in anywhere after the throttle body? Worth cleaning the throttle body as well?

I heard something about an idle screw, might look into it if it worsens but for now it seems the car just doesn't like 91!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptenkae View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys.

For some reason running BP Ultimate 98 seems to have fixed the problem, idles around ~800 when fully warmed up in neutral now!

I guess its nice to have a win every now and then.

I think i will clean out the manifold, service records from 20,000kms ago mentioned car was running rough and intake was cleaned as a remedy.

So i should just spray it in anywhere after the throttle body? Worth cleaning the throttle body as well?

I heard something about an idle screw, might look into it if it worsens but for now it seems the car just doesn't like 91!
    whilst its going,gently 1/2 pull out the hose that runs to the iacv (its located on the rubber intake hose , dont pull it right off, it will stall), use a long squirter attachment on your can of throttle body cleaner, and squirt to your hearts content. expect grumbles from the motor and lots of smoke out the exhaust.

excuse the honda..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UeJXkzDW8
    Last edited by sss4me; 12-10-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    quality is remembered long after price is forgotten