User Tag List

Thread: Best Aftermarket Shock Absorbers. + poly bump stops or regular?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Aftermarket Shock Absorbers. + poly bump stops or regular?

changing my shocks and lowering my n15 hatch this weekend and want to know what shocks are best.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to checkmypulsar For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coilovers or changing shocks/springs?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Leroy Peterson For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    changing shocks and springs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to checkmypulsar For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thinking kyb shocks and king springs 30mm drop

8. The Following User Says Thank You to checkmypulsar For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmypulsar View Post
    changing my shocks and lowering my n15 hatch this weekend and want to know what shocks are best.
    KYB AGX Damper adjustable shocks are probably the best thing you can get for an N15. However, there's a couple of downsides.

1) Cost. They're not cheap as you have to order them from the USA and our dollar sucks.
    2) They only made them for the Series 1 chassis. This doesn't mean they won't fit, it just means you have to buy Series 1 springs as well, even if you have a Series 2 (the spring seats are different heights).

For springs, king lows are good for a 30mm drop, but the spring rates are awful (however, they will still actually handle quite well. I used them for over a year and had no complaints. When I say the spring rates are awful, I mean they're far from the ideal for our cars, as in the ideal that was landed on by some very intelligent people for spirit street and minor track driving). I went into King Springs on the Gold Coast before I moved and from memory the guy told me they were something like 2.9kg front, 3.1kg rear. Stiffer in the rear is just retarded, but apparently it mirrors the stock setup in terms of bias. Mike Kojima along with some other extremely intelligent people at an F1 suspension manufacturer did a lot of testing and came up with 5.3kg front and 3.8kg rear as the ideal spring rates for the B14(N15) chassis. Roadmagnet make a set of springs close to this for a decent price, but again, they're from the US so our dollar sucks. If you don't mind spending the money and want a very good spring/shock combo, the KYB AGX and Roadmagnet combo is the second best rated on the SR20Forum suspension post, beaten by the KYB AGX + Hyperco combo, that you cannot buy as the Hyperco wre only available in a 300+ person group buy, or second hand. Good luck with that!
    Last edited by Bengineering; 02-12-2015 at 07:27 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bengineering For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018), sss4me (02-12-2015)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried for years to get a set of RoadMangets (always missed the Group Buys) from the USA. Everytime a set came up, they sold so fast and the sellers didn't want to ship to AUS.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cozzm0 For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be getting old...

My Pedders XA's are getting a little too stiff for me, even on the softest setting... that or they need to be rebuilt.

So I'm looking for a little more stock, but with a slight drop (I do love my current height though )

Apparently Road Magnet is out of business now and HyperCo's are hard to come buy... but on the off chance there is some floating around second hand, what model numbers/size/spring rates should I be looking for?
    If either of these are unobtainable, which they most likely will be, what is the next best?

Are they KYB AGX's still considered the ideal for the N15 SSS?
    Model number(s) for KYB AGX's also?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MdMa For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute UNOBTAINIUM are those springs. I tried for well over 2 years to get a set and the stupid yanks either wouldn't sell them overseas, or they sold before i got a chance to buy.

AGX's are old old now, but still probably one of the better straight replacement dampers, but the end issue/result/problem is that you run out of travel when you go lower and they were designed for Series 1 springs (as opposed to the Series 2 springs which are more common in Australia, different spring length and stuff).

If your Pedders aren't leaking, but just getting a bit harsh then maybe some fresh oil and a regas would probably sort them out. But cost and hassle wise might be easier to just replace with some BC Gold ordered with lower spring rates like 5/4 instead of the 8/6 they're provided with.

If you're considering dropping some coin on the car, some " MCA Blue " setup for street comfort would probably be good money spent as well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cozzm0 For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzm0 View Post
    If your Pedders aren't leaking, but just getting a bit harsh then maybe some fresh oil and a regas would probably sort them out. But cost and hassle wise might be easier to just replace with some BC Gold ordered with lower spring rates like 5/4 instead of the 8/6 they're provided with.
    I called Pedders today... I was quoted $1300 for a rebuild... I wonder if this is the same as "some fresh oil and a regas"?
    I might try them again tomorrow, unless there is someone else I should/could be calling?

Does BC still do a "Gold"... I couldn't see it:
    http://bcracing.com.au/pulsar-1

If you're considering dropping some coin on the car, some " MCA Blue " setup for street comfort would probably be good money spent as well.
    I don't really want to spend any money on it, but I'll do what must be done!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MdMa For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I spoke with another Pedders store today...

The quoted $740 for the inserts + $240 fitting..

MCA got back to me.. they do not have any products for the N15.

Anyone have an opinion on Shockworks?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MdMa For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (09-09-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MCA absolutely DO make them for the N15, one of the guys in QLD has bought a set and has them on his car, i believe his car was the test vehicle for them.

What inserts was pedders quoting on ?
    Last edited by Cozzm0; 03-08-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzm0 View Post
    MCA absolutely DO make them for the N15, one of the guys in QLD has bought a set and has them on his car, i believe his car was the test vehicle for them.
    Well, I just spoke with them, and their response was something to the effect of, "We don't have anything, but we are planning something in the future."

What inserts was pedders quoting on ?
    I did ask if they make them themselves or have someone make them for them.. the CSR gave me an unconvincing answering of, "I think we make them."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MdMa For This Useful Post:

Cozzm0 (07-08-2017)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've finally reached the tipping point. I commute daily now, so the coilovers have to go.

What is best obtainable strut/spring combo for the N15 SSS (not coilovers, as I may sell the car in the not to distant future)?
    Last edited by MdMa; 06-09-2018 at 07:39 PM.