User Tag List

Thread: Hatch not springing open properly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hatch not springing open properly

On our 5 door hatch when the boot lever is pulled the hatch unlocks fine but doesn't spring open as it does on all the other hatch or wagons i have owned, as a result often when the lever is released the latch locks the door closed again and i have to go pull the lever again or get someone else to pull the door while the lever is pulled. Is there some spring or mechanism to check that should hold the boot catch above the latch when the lever is pulled?

The gas struts aren't the best, seems the rear hatch is too heavy for the standard struts as i have tried about 3 different pairs and non will hold it up, not sure if this is effecting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the same problem with the Red Jett. N14 SSS

Get your struts re-gassed and cut a dog-bone sponge up, so it fits where the hatch meets the rear and shut the hatch on top. Not to much sponge thickness is required. Then when you pull the hatch release it will pop up for you.

Cost of dog-bone sponge + $1.00
    Last edited by PhilSSStevenson; 09-12-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    NISSAN Pulsar N14 SSS Oz spec - the SSS cult classic. Owned mine since 1992.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilSSStevenson View Post
    I have had the same problem with the Red Jett. N14 SSS

Get your struts re-gassed and cut a dog-bone sponge up, so it fits where the hatch meets the rear and shut the hatch on top. Not to much sponge thickness is required. Then when you pull the hatch release it will pop up for you.

Cost of dog-bone sponge + $1.00
    Yeah i have done something similar for now, using some sticky sided rubber furniture pads opposite where the rubber boot stops sit which seems to be working for now. Not too sure how they are going to hold up to the summer heat though. But i thought maybe there was a spring or something else in the latch that might have needed replacing?