User Tag List

Thread: Crane Lx91 coil still sold?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crane Lx91 coil still sold?

Does anyone know if the crane lx91 coil is still being sold or have they changed brand names or anything. Found a couple on ebay after searching called fast but they look the same as the crane. Just want to check if its the same? https://tinyurl.com/y7mwkvfs and also found this one which is the right one but it's too expensive for me https://www.enginemaster.com.au/cran...-ignition-coil. Cheers.

Just another quick question about the top gun leads, how badly does the coil wire pop out? Would it be best to get another brand that will stay on?
    Last edited by SSSCORZA; 19-10-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSSCORZA For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (31-10-2018), ksokymr (19-10-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FAST I-91 coil on eBay is the way to go. I think Crane sold it's coil manufacturing to another company. Just the same.

Re leads: TOP GUN are my choice. If ever I go to 7,500 rpm in the Red Jett, which might be once a month, I check the coil lead to the dizzy cap and push it in if it has moved. And always good to check the SR20.
    Most of the time it is fine.

Let me know the difference. Remember to change the dizzy cap and dizzy rotor.

Cheers . . .

pic of my Crane coil in lower right of photo. Look for the red lead, with black plug (homemade), going to it.
    I attached it to the air filter cool box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N14SSSOz Spec.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	1777
    Last edited by PhilSSStevenson; 19-10-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    NISSAN Pulsar N14 SSS Oz spec - the SSS cult classic. Owned mine since 1992.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhilSSStevenson For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (31-10-2018), jthjess (17-11-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilSSStevenson View Post
    The FAST I-91 coil on eBay is the way to go. I think Crane sold it's coil manufacturing to another company. Just the same.

Re leads: TOP GUN are my choice. If ever I go to 7,500 rpm in the Red Jett, which might be once a month, I check the coil lead to the dizzy cap and push it in if it has moved. And always good to check the SR20.
    Most of the time it is fine.

Let me know the difference. Remember to change the dizzy cap and dizzy rotor.

Cheers . . .

pic of my Crane coil in lower right of photo. Look for the red lead, with black plug (homemade), going to it.
    I attached it to the air filter cool box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N14SSSOz Spec.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	1777
    Hey, how did you mount your coil? Mine came with a bracket and might need to drill some holes. Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSSCORZA For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (31-10-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your using a crane lx91 coil in an n14, how did you mount it? It looks like Stevenson has his attached to the air box but not sure. I don't really want to drill holes in a perfectly fine engine bay but if I have to then well I'll just have to live with it. Cheers.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSSCORZA For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSCORZA View Post
    If your using a crane lx91 coil in an n14, how did you mount it? It looks like Stevenson has his attached to the air box but not sure. I don't really want to drill holes in a perfectly fine engine bay but if I have to then well I'll just have to live with it. Cheers.
    Take a look at my engine bay pic. The coil is mounted to the cold air box I manufactured. Tin covered in insulation.

Yes, I drilled holes into the tin.

I suggest you look for a space close to the engine. If you have the stock air box you could drill into that.

Keep me posted.

Cheers,

Phil.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhilSSStevenson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilSSStevenson View Post
    Take a look at my engine bay pic. The coil is mounted to the cold air box I manufactured. Tin covered in insulation.

Yes, I drilled holes into the tin.

I suggest you look for a space close to the engine. If you have the stock air box you could drill into that.

Keep me posted.

Cheers,

Phil.
    So I removed the air baffle for the intake which gave me a lot more space to work with. I made a bracket out of 3mm alloy plate to mount the coil which then the bracket then mounts to the baffle bracket so I didn’t need to drill or cut anything. The coil comes close to the air box but still clears with about a fingers clearance. Just need to wire it up and test it out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SSSCORZA For This Useful Post:

allen4jim (31-10-2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I finished it last week but forgot to reply. I have been using the car for the past week and I have to say the car picks up nicely now, it’s no where near fast but I can feel a power improvement so all I can say is this is a must do mod which will cost around $250 if done right like mine. To note I have done many high rpm runs and none of the leads have popped out or moved. To add I have installed top gun leads, new dizzy cap and rotor, new NGK BKR6E-11 plugs gapped to 1.2mm, custom 8mm spiral core coil wire and advanced the ignition timing to 19 degrees BTDC. With all this in conjunction it feels nice. Also with the wiring of the coil I added a Delphi connector to easily connect and disconnect the coil which is gives a clean look. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot diggity. Well done, and yes I experienced the same improvements as you did.

Remember, due to the high current, you will need to change dizzy cap and rotor every 20,000 klicks.

Cheers . . .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PhilSSStevenson For This Useful Post:

jthjess (17-11-2018)