Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any traps to be aware of

Hi all,

I'm about to change the oil pan gasket and the rocker cover gasket as there are leaks in both. I was wondering if there are any traps I should be aware of or if it is as straight forward as it seems.

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLou View Post
    Hi all,

I'm about to change the oil pan gasket and the rocker cover gasket as there are leaks in both. I was wondering if there are any traps I should be aware of or if it is as straight forward as it seems.

Thanks,
    Easy--peezy . . .

Done both.

but, must have a torque wrench for the cam cover. Don't snap a stud. Get the torque specs for your cam cover studs first.

Good luck.
    NISSAN Pulsar N14 SSS Oz spec - the SSS cult classic. Owned mine since 1992.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil pan RTV gasket, obviously best time to do it is an oil change and i would drain the oil the night before.

Rocker cover gasket you must must must must spend a heap of time cleaning (with something like white spirits) the gasket mating surfaces (this includes the channel inside the rocker cover), use gasket goo (silicone RTV) in the right locations and clean ALL the old gasket goo from those surfaces.

I've found that torqing the rocker cover down does help, its not common to have an inch pounds torque wrench around because the torque is very low.
    Its good practise to tighten the bolts in a star pattern from the inside out and if you don't torque it to a value, just remember it does NOT need to be tight. Just enough 'snick' to keep the bolts in place so they don't rattle out.