User Tag List

Thread: Replacement gas struts for N15S2 hatch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement gas struts for N15S2 hatch

The gas struts that hold the hatch open on my N15 S2 SSS have finally started to die (not bad after 19 years). What have other people found is the best option for getting them fixed?

There's a guy who advertises gas strut recharging in the local yellow pages, but I'd guess it's not cheap for him to do the job.

Alternatively, I can buy a pair of non-genuine replacements off eBay for $60 delivered.

The cheap and nasty eBay ones sound like the way to go. Has anyone replaced/repaired their gas struts recently and have some input on this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had my ebay ones in for many many years now. interestingly the oem ones were 4 figures. $60 on ebay, they will do fine. get yourself some bonnet ones while your at it
    quality is remembered long after price is forgotten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought ones off ebay. i tried replying yesterday but it didn't work. item number 132248482284

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing I've found wrong with the eBay ones, is they were strong. Too strong. These were for my old falcon and commodore. Seriously, one strut for the bonnet was enough. Both of them in and I had to hold the bonnet from flying up.
    Got mine from eBay but the bloke was in wheelers hill, or near there (vic) and was able to pick them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh they are strong, have to really pull the hatch down now, but 1 isn't enough to keep it up, at lest not on my car.

only fitment issue i had was i had to file a little of the edge of the bracket on the body side of the car because when the hatch closed it would rub on the body. not sure if that's due to my car, or if its just a design flaw, but they were cheap, and they work. No where near and smooth and quiet as OEM, but i haven't got concussion or stitches in my skull since i changed them....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheaper gas struts (ive found) start really strong and then weaken after a few months. Then they're fine. could be brand dependant, or depend on how often theyre used etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine get used a dozen times a day so i'll quickly see if they fail/soften.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably go with the eBay replacements.

Reading on other forums, it sounds like the "gas strut recharge" people recharge the struts by using a machine to force gas past the seals and into the strut. If the strut has failed because the seals are old and worn (mine are 18 years old), then they just fail again within about twelve months, so new struts are the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how all gas struts are charged up in the first place. Most of the time they put 'a bit extra' in because the seals will always allow a fraction of gas out. It depends on how bad the original seals are, if they're leaking oil they're gone for sure, but sometimes its just normal degradation. I'd prefer regassed OEM struts as they're nice and quiet and fitment is a bit better, but for the price and convenience to buy new aftermarket replacements i went that direction this time around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay ones on my vzr, they were on my sss as long as i can remember

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk