User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N14 Rear Brake Upgrade/Info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N14 Rear Brake Upgrade/Info

So ive been playing with the rears on bot N14's and years ago there was a large amount of info on here. So i would like to try and build up a bit of thread

Now few questions

1 - Are my N14 brakes radioactive

2 - Are GTiR rears the same as N15's

3 - I know the N15's bolt up to the rear of an N14 but i must of been missing something the other day as i could get the handbrake cable angle working

Im also looking at fitting up a set of maxima to JAPSSS in the near future

Feel free to add any information that could be relevant to the thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruddigger For This Useful Post:

Martin (31-10-2015)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run gtir rears on sssmk.2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fairly sure the ir rears on n14 u need to swap the left n right.

As in left caliper goes on the right side for the handbrake cable to line up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't upgrade N14 rear brakes at all - they don't do that much work and the regulator/spliter significantly limits hydraulic pressure to the rear
    Worst case scenario - in an emergency you could lock them up and get a nasty swing from the rear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS_Hoon View Post
    Fairly sure the ir rears on n14 u need to swap the left n right.

As in left caliper goes on the right side for the handbrake cable to line up.

Nope , Ive tired both on the one side and no luck ,

That's why i must be missing something , Lee any ideas?
    Last edited by Ruddigger; 28-10-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swapped left to right for the gtir, hooked the handbrake up before I bolted the caliper on. had to use gtir rotors too not n15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leesss View Post
    I swapped left to right for the gtir, hooked the handbrake up before I bolted the caliper on. had to use gtir rotors too not n15
    WTF im doing something wrong then... ill take photos and do a right up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruddigger; you're attempting to fit N15 SSS rear calipers? They won't fit onto the N14.

AFAIK GTiR calipers / discs are the only bolt on option you'll find as they have the correct hat height and handbrake setup.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spectrix For This Useful Post:

Ruddigger (29-10-2015)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay here it goes,
    This is all REAR Brake info,

Gti-r brakes mount onto an N14 with a left to right swap, handbrake hooks straight up, done it numerous times

Gti-r and N15 SSS discs have a 12mm depth difference, N15 SSS (45mm) Gti-r (33mm) and the handbrake cable doesn't hook up, if you try to fit N15 SSS callipers to an N14, IT DOESNT WORK

You can bolt 278mm A32 maxima A32 rear brakes onto an N15 SSS, you just have to re drill the rotors to 4x100, handbrake cable hooks straight on, happy days

On an N14, you can re drill 278mm maxima rotors to 4x100, space the hubs out 12mm each, and use Gti-r callipers with A32 calliper carrier bracket,
    Last edited by Boosted VLAD; 29-10-2015 at 07:50 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boosted VLAD For This Useful Post:

Ethanolaholic (30-10-2015), Ruddigger (29-10-2015)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just a bit of extra REAR brake info

Gti-r, N15 SSS and A32 maxima are all the same piston size and take the same brake pads
    Last edited by Boosted VLAD; 29-10-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrix View Post
    Ruddigger; you're attempting to fit N15 SSS rear calipers? They won't fit onto the N14.

AFAIK GTiR calipers / discs are the only bolt on option you'll find as they have the correct hat height and handbrake setup.
    So i somehow must have a set of N15 rear calipers then... How did i get them...?

Cool thanks for clearing all that up .

Why did i think the GTiR and the N15 were the same ? i know the pads are the same correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted VLAD View Post
    Okay here it goes,
    This is all REAR Brake info,

Gti-r brakes mount onto an N14 with a left to right swap, handbrake hooks straight up, done it numerous times

Gti-r and N15 SSS discs have a 12mm depth difference, N15 SSS (45mm) Gti-r (33mm) and the handbrake cable doesn't hook up if you try to fit N15 SSS callipers to an N14, IT DOESNT WORK

You can bolt 278mm A32 maxima A32 rear brakes onto an N15 SSS, you just have to re drill the rotors to 4x100, handbrake cable hooks straight on, happy days

On an N14, you can re drill 278mm maxima rotors to 4x100, space the hubs out 12mm each, and use Gti-r callipers with A32 calliper carrier bracket,
    Thanks Boosted VLAD You have dropped a good amount of info in here, Yer i knew all about the dics sizes and depth and what not just could get my head around the calipers. Simple anwser is i have N15's lol

Yer ive got the maximas sitting at home for JAPSSS will play with them one day , but from what your saying you dont think ill be able to bolt them up to an N14????

EDIT!! Just re read what you wrote , i get it now cheers
    Last edited by Ruddigger; 29-10-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I wouldn't upgrade N14 rear brakes at all - they don't do that much work and the regulator/spliter significantly limits hydraulic pressure to the rear
    Worst case scenario - in an emergency you could lock them up and get a nasty swing from the rear
    I'd suggest that if on an n14 you have n15 sss/gtir front brakes, then upgrading the rears to gtir units is maintaining the brake bias. Ive never known rnn14s or n15s for having a tendency to swap ends.

I have both on my n14. It causes no issues and i have found that on the track makes for a more balanced vehicle under brakes. I much prefer it to when i only had upgraded the front end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the Pulsar Challenge cars are running stock rear brakes - you wanna see how often people lock up the rears, every lap!
    More rear braking capability is not going to help (imo)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing to larger rear discs doesn't necessary increase the likelihood of lockups.
    I'm running the A32 278mm rear disc / A32 rear caliper combination and I find it less prone to tripping the ABS system braking hard into corners.

It may be that it's not as on/off as the standard setup is.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Spectrix For This Useful Post:

Ethanolaholic (30-10-2015)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard setup is not on/off - it's due to sudden weight transfer to the front leaving the rear high and light - only encountered during extreme braking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the Pulsar Challenge cars are running stock rear brakes - you wanna see how often people lock up the rears, every lap!
    More rear braking capability is not going to help (imo)
    didn't know you knew what brake set up I bolted to my car when I changed the rear brakes, thanks for clearing that up for me......

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Leesss For This Useful Post:

Ethanolaholic (09-11-2015)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrix View Post
    Changing to larger rear discs doesn't necessary increase the likelihood of lockups.
    I'm running the A32 278mm rear disc / A32 caliper bracket combination and I find it less prone to tripping the ABS system. It may be that it's not as on/off as the standard setup is.
    Surely having a bit more diameter on the disc could also heap with heat distributions/dispersion even if it doesn't truly increase brake performance

The standard setup is not on/off - it's due to sudden weight transfer to the front leaving the rear high and light - only encountered during extreme braking
    LOL dude if you dont want people to put them on there car you can just say so , we wont be offended :P

I just want to fill the back wheels up abit the N14 look so small

didn't know you knew what brake set up I bolted to my car when I changed the rear brakes, thanks for clearing that up for me......
    Yer lee didnt you change your rears for the challenge car

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
    Surely having a bit more diameter on the disc could also heap with heat distributions/dispersion even if it doesn't truly increase brake performance
    Yeah, I changed my rear brakes for balance since fitting such large calipers & discs on the front.
    I doubt the rears are at risk of boiling fluid on track days like the fronts, more just the diameter increase so as not to upset bias.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL dude if you dont want people to put them on there car you can just say so , we wont be offended :P
    Does not worry me mate - but I hate seeing people spending $$$ for the wrong reason/expectation

I just want to fill the back wheels up abit the N14 look so small
    Now that I can relate to!

My daily (not a Pulsar) has 357mm floating rotors with 6 pot calipers (same brake pad as a Corvette C5)

(Also have a similar setup for my 350Z)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant calipers (and rotor diameter) - we're not allow to change them in the Pulsar Challenge