Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SR20DE Valve Cover & Spark Plug Well Gaskets

Hey Guys,

1. Just wanting to know what the part numbers are for the Valve Cover & Spark Plug Well Gaskets for the N15 SR20DE?

2. What other SR20 motors/cars if any are interchangeable with the N15 SR20DE? (not sure if they use different part numbers)

3. Seen spark plug well gasket with separate rings and also one where they are all connected... which one to get?

4. Where's the best/cheapest place to buy genuine gaskets?

5. Are the eBay aftermarket gaskets and kits any good for the price?

Let me know any useful info you have, im sure it would help out more people for future reference.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Keejoo For This Useful Post:

estoibercora (15-09-2016)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spark plug gaskets are separate, do not get one that has it all connected unless you can cut them apart. When I replaced my rocker cover gasket about a year ago with a genuine Nissan one (don't have a part number sorry, but it will be easily found by the parts department), I wasn't able to buy new spark plug gasket rings, he told me they are a non-serviceable part, so I just used the existing ones with some sealant. Unless my local Nissan dealer doesn't know what they're on about after market may be the only way to buy new spark plug gasket rings. The rocker cover gasket should be available through Nissan unless it has been discontinued.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0256.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	1502

this guy ^^^lol
    quality is remembered long after price is forgotten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most important thing when replacing the gasket, is to follow the service manual procedures.

As important is to clean, clean and clean again the surfaces. This means clean the mating surface on the head, AND the channel that the gasket rides into on the rocker cover. Very very important is the cleaning to ensure it doesn't weep afterwards.

Applying gasket goo in the correct places, and torquing (not wrenching down as hard as you can to make it seal) on the bolts.

I don't see any problem with the plug well gaskets that are joined, it makes it easier to install. The N14 ones were sold as separate items, the N15 one is joined.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cozzm0 For This Useful Post:

Martin (23-04-2017)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nissan asking $58 for spark plug well gasket, $53 for valve cover gasket...

do you normally buy nissan direct, genuine elsewhere/online, or ebay aftermarket should do the job?

Also, i read ppl fitting spark plug gasket both with and without sealant? also, just reusing gasket but if previously was no sealant... dodgy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keejoo View Post
    Nissan asking $58 for spark plug well gasket, $53 for valve cover gasket...

do you normally buy nissan direct, genuine elsewhere/online, or ebay aftermarket should do the job?

Also, i read ppl fitting spark plug gasket both with and without sealant? also, just reusing gasket but if previously was no sealant... dodgy?
    brendan @ pten developments does great prices on sr20 stuff. amayama,taarks,coastmodz are other options. you only use sealant on the valley moons and dizzy moon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sss4me For This Useful Post:

Deigima (17-09-2016)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often buy from www.amayama.com but only works out worth while to buy a few things at once as shipping kills if it you don't buy other things like filters, dizzy cap & rotor etc etc. I'll usually buy a half a dozen filters, some sump plug washers, pollen filter etc to make it worth while. Obviously you spend more money doing that, but over all (and i do a lot of km's) i save a fair amount of money. I've never used an aftermarket rocker cover gasket, but i've been told they are available.

There are certain areas that you must use sealant (according to nissan), or it won't seal (most likely), but some smear sealant over the WHOLE seal to 'make sure'. Personally think that looks bad and its not required for a good seal.

Personally, if you do it like they tell you, it won't leak. I've never had a leak and i've reused my rocker cover gasket 2 times so far. 250,000km and still no leaks. Just always take a lot of care to clean, prepare and allow the gasket goo to 'go off' before using the car. Torque down the cover carefully and not excessively and should be right. Of course if the current seal has been squished to within an inch of its life, it might leak no matter what you do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cozzm0 For This Useful Post:

Martin (16-09-2016)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Support local business like coastmodz if he has the stuff in stock for sure, good suggestion Enzo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzm0 View Post
    Support local business like coastmodz if he has the stuff in stock for sure, good suggestion Enzo.
    Cheeky bump Enzo, I think I have the workshop manuals but can't find anything about the rocker/valve cover gaskets. You got a link?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mezje View Post
    Cheeky bump Enzo, I think I have the workshop manuals but can't find anything about the rocker/valve cover gaskets. You got a link?
    for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sss4me View Post
    for?
    The correct way of applying both sealant and the gasket to ensure proper seal as mentioned above

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the info. found the parts and will stick to the service manual for torque settings, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just apply sealant to the 2 "moons" on the cam gear end of the head, and on the other side where the high ridge around the distributor is. thats it. make sure is very clean, and tension the screws down evenly in the correct pattern from the middle outwards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just apply sealant to the 2 "moons" on the cam gear end of the head, and on the other side where the high ridge around the distributor is. thats it. make sure is very clean, and tension the screws down evenly in the correct pattern from the middle outwards
    Any chance you know torque specs? Can't just go FT (****ing tight) in the correct pattern?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its clean, gasket goo on the moons/dizzy ridge,and torqued in order, then its not much tension at all 4nm then 8-10nm.bugger all

Name:	Valvecoverblotpattern.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	1599
    Last edited by sss4me; 22-02-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its clean, gasket goo on the moons/dizzy ridge,and torqued in order, then its not much tension at all 4nm then 8-10nm.bugger all

Name:	Valvecoverblotpattern.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	1599
    Cool, looks like it is time to buy a torque wrench! Thanks heaps, keen to see how the rocker look with wrinkle red, mate is running it on his sil80 and it looks mint.