User Tag List

Thread: How to test wiring with a multi meter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to test wiring with a multi meter

Went to put replace front speakers in my doors, but no sound out of left speaker when connected. Is there a way to test the wiring with a multi meter to see if the wire is broken a somewhere? Voltage on a multi makes sense to me, but resistance and stuff doesn't.
    So how can I check if the wire is broken somewhere or if it's the head unit front left channel?
    Like, a broken wire would give no resistance but if part of the head unit is faulty I would get some sort of reading?
    Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be a mode on your meter that is a diode test and looks like a wifi icon, a dot with some -))) . Will also have an icon like -|>-

that is 'continuity test' mode which checks to see if a wire is connected. Same as doing a resistance test, but the meter will BEEP when the wire is connected so you dont have to be looking at the meter itself. Test it by touching the leads together, if it beeps, all you need to do then is check the harness plug in the dash and connect the other wire to the wire in the door to see if its connected.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cozzm0 For This Useful Post:

yakabot (14-08-2016)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cozzm0. I remember one of my multimeters having the continuity setting, but not sure if my current one does. Will have a look later. Was hoping I could somehow check without having to pull the headunit out.
    Last time I took the dash surround out of my old pulsar, I had it sitting on my knees, but it slipped off them, out the door on to the ground and shattered into about 38 million pieces.
    Guess I'll do it next weekend when I have more time to take it out. Also, if the wire is broken somewhere, looks like a bugger of a job trying to run new wires through.