I actually watched this race live on Channel 7 in 1989… I’ve always remembered five things about watching this race (and the 6-pack I drank during it also)…
1. That beautiful looking NISSAN Skyline HR31 GTS-R, with the magic Nissan RB20DET-R in-line 6 cylinder, wining the race. Those flames shooting out the left hand side. I have a pic of me standing next to it in Perth (Wanneroo Park/Barbagallo Raceway) 1989.
2. The last minute of the race, with Mike Raymond calling out, “George, Hang on to her!"
3. Peter Brock's amazing recovery from a corner 360 degree spin.
4. A Holden VL Commodore SS Group A SV (Walkinshaw), leading a round of the ATCC.
5. The miserable cold winter’s day at Winton, Victoria.
Bonus with Alan Moffat doing commentary.
Nissan's tour de force, three car assault…
Loved it and have always wanted to see it again somehow.
and, watch at least the first eight minutes...