User Tag List

Thread: Best way to remove orange plastic from inside Front indicator?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to remove orange plastic from inside Front indicator?

I am in the process of making my front indicator's clear - Ive done the oven trick to heat up the indicators and the glue to get inside.
    Now how to remove the orange plastic carefully?
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done the heat gun method and I chipped the outer plastic when trying to pry it apart.
    Oven is the way to go. 60-80 degrees celcius, give it a few mins in there from cold... Pull it out and (ideally) use something wood or plastic to try pry it apart.

To get the Orange orb out of the small space, I used a decent set of side cutters to cut it apart and pull it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to sure of the question your asking, but once you heated the indicator up and separated the lens, the orange bit basically falls out.

if you dont use the oven method , some long nose clippers will work to. use them to push the orange orb bit out, then cut it to pieces and remove the pieces bit by bit.
    quality is remembered long after price is forgotten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheeky bump, I am doing this now and cannot seem to pry it open, I have got them bloody hot but it just won't pry apart due to the clips, any tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to let them heat soak for 10-15 minutes (if you haven't already done it that way). Surface heat for a short time doesn't work, the heat needs to penetrate into the Butyl glue and the easiest way to test that is where the clips are there is usually a bit of butyl sticking out, it needs to get to a very soft chewingum type texture before the lens will even think about budging. Using paddle pop sticks you should easy be able to start to see some movement in the lens. I often use a screw driver to pry where the clip is (in the hole where you see the tab) and allow it to move past it easier.