PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator lag and oil pan gasket

OrangeLou
04-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

For a while now my Pulsar (1998, N15) has been having an annoying issue with the accelerator. When I push the clutch in or go into neutral the revs stay high for a little while before dropping to the idle level. In addition, the revs often start dropping and then increase just slightly before settling down. I was wondering if it was perhaps due to the vacuum valve or something in the emission control system. Just for further information. The accelerator cable with the car sitting at rest is quite slack. This might be normal as I can't actually use the adjusting nut to tighten it up. There is not enough travel on it.

And lastly, I was wondering if it is difficult to change the gasket on the oil pan. There is a small leak which I would like to fix unless it is one of those problems that is better left alone for fear of opening up a can of worms.

Thanks in advance.

Cozzm0
04-09-2017, 04:17 PM
There is no oil pan gasket, its gasket goo (silicone RTV).

The worse situation would be that the idle drops for the car to stall each time you push the clutch in, so i think having it stay up a little is probably less bad. As long as the idle at warm temperature is correct then it probably doesn't need adjusting in reality.

sss4me
04-09-2017, 07:18 PM
you could try a very liberal spray of upper cylinder cleaner into the intake plenum b4 the throttle body, and some down the hose to the iacv valve