PDA

View Full Version : Hub/Axel Nut came loose

MdMa
27-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Seemingly out of no where my front left hub nut came loose, causing the wheel to make a noise only whilst under load.

My friend/mechanic tightened it up with a rattle gun, but a week later... same issue.

Was it not tightened/torqued enough, do I need a new nut and or wheel bearing?

Leroy Peterson
29-06-2017, 03:08 PM
They do have a torque requirement, ~110Nm sounds familiar for when I had to do it years ago. But consistent hub nut loosening is sometimes related to a stuffed wheel bearing.

Cozzm0
29-06-2017, 04:55 PM
If the CV Shaft nut was loose, its likely the hub was damaged in the process as well as the bearing. They need to be very tight, tighter than your average rattle gun will go, N15 is 196-275Nm !

MdMa
29-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys...

I'll be getting new wheel bearings and nuts... and getting them properly torqued.

Hopefully the hub isn't damaged... :eek:

Cozzm0
30-06-2017, 07:38 AM
The place most likely to have damage is the inner drive flange (actually called the "wheel hub"). When that part is pressed out of the centre, if there is any diameter difference along the shaft where the bearing sits, it should be replaced otherwise you'll have problems with the new bearing pretty quickly.

MdMa
05-08-2017, 08:20 PM
The place most likely to have damage is the inner drive flange (actually called the "wheel hub"). When that part is pressed out of the centre, if there is any diameter difference along the shaft where the bearing sits, it should be replaced otherwise you'll have problems with the new bearing pretty quickly.

In my first post I said that the hub nut came loose again; this was an assumption which turned out to be false.

In reality, the wheel bearing had fallen apart causing the same noise, which is where my assumption came from.

Both front wheel bearings have now been replaced. There did not appear to be any damaged the hub.

However, the whole front end geometry, namely toe, has somehow been altered.. wheel alignment booked in for Monday... sigh.

Cozzm0
06-08-2017, 07:22 AM
Any time you touch the front suspension to do anything you pretty much need a wheel alignment.

MdMa
07-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Any time you touch the front suspension to do anything you pretty much need a wheel alignment.

The wheel alignment has corrected the issue.

Once again, thanks for all your help guys.