PDA

View Full Version : N15 SSS Starter Motor Model, Install, Time & Cost

Keejoo
14-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Hey Guys,

Seems my starter motor died... battery is fine. Need to double check for solenoid clicking sound if any, when i get home after work.

last time i just paid someone to do it and remember they mentioned there were 2 different starter motor models for a 2000 N15 SSS (SR20DE)

Are there 2 models?

What is the difference?

How do i know which one to get?

New part quotes at around $400, how much to expect for 2nd hand from wreckers?

Is it worth to go new or second hand should be good enough?

Whats the expected life new vs 2nd hand?

How long does it take to replace the starter motor?

Any info / advise let me know, hoping i can do myself provided i can get parts quick.

Thanks.

Cozzm0
14-12-2016, 06:13 PM
They're basically interchangeable, Hitachi and Mitsubishi. Don't pay more than 50-80 bucks for a used one. Worst case is the solenoid plug isn't a large connector, its just a spade on some models.

Installed brand new (genuine) one a while back, done 250,000+ so far....

Generic / aftermarket (new) ones on ebay are around $200, seems a decent price.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY !

Job is not too hard, bit fiddly. Need to remove from under, but need to remove the intake pipe to get to the bolts to release the starter motor.

Keejoo
16-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Got home and checked starter but sounded like it might actually be the battery. battery was still charged, alternator fine, had RACQ come check it over in the morning and do a proper test.

Load test on 350 CCA battery was actually 75 CCA... bought a new battery in the afternoon and starts like new again.

Must have assumed the worst in the morning rush trying to find another way to get to work, happy its just the battery tho.

On the plus side at least i know how to get to the starter now and replace if it ever comes to that.

Also want to sort out alternative harness mounting for those 2 brackets that are in the way.