PDA

View Full Version : Transmission gearbox leaking...

PhilSSStevenson
13-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Finally found the culprit that causes a stiff gear linkage after a hot run.

The forkin’ transmission is leaking. Changed the tranny oil two years ago and I think there ain’t much left. Nice old and enlarging spot on the gravel under the tranny. I never noticed before.

So I’m gunna put new Redline MT-90 and this stuff, into the tranny and wait and see.

This Wynn’s product (I purchased two), is unavailable in Oz (I can’t find any), so this is from Europe.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/331971201117?lpid=107&chn=ps

I’m also going to apply a line of metal paste to the bottom join.

Wish me luck. I’ll post later.

mezje
13-10-2016, 07:51 PM
I wish you luck!

Cozzm0
14-10-2016, 06:52 AM
I'd be doing the job properly if it were me. When i say 'properly', i mean remove the gearbox, disassemble and reseal the casing.

External patches and stop leak (thickening additives) are bandaids and with a car that is in such nice original condition it would be almost sacrilege to just whack some bog on the outside of the box and put some sawdust inside.

Paullus
14-10-2016, 07:10 AM
I doubt it's coming from the join. My money is on of the seals: driveshaft, inputshaft, selector rod.

Omega
14-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Penrite 85w-140 if you want to gamble with a thicker oil - I rate it :)

Cozzm0
15-10-2016, 07:55 AM
I doubt it's coming from the join. My money is on of the seals: driveshaft, inputshaft, selector rod.

It does happen, but those other are definitely more likely.

PhilSSStevenson
15-10-2016, 04:38 PM
It is the join. Confirmed.

As I do only 2,000 klicks a year now, (with 135,000 on the odo after 25 years) not sure if I wanna spend to professionally fix it at this time, even though I like it purrrfect. Will check leakage after fix.

I'll give this a go and advise.

bty: The Red Jett will be for sale in 2022. That is after 30 years of a one owner's seductive affair with it.

Hang in there.

Phil.

PhilSSStevenson
15-10-2016, 04:53 PM
I'd be doing the job properly if it were me. When i say 'properly', i mean remove the gearbox, disassemble and reseal the casing.

External patches and stop leak (thickening additives) are bandaids and with a car that is in such nice original condition it would be almost sacrilege to just whack some bog on the outside of the box and put some sawdust inside.

Oh what have you done to me Cozzm0?

OK, you put me to shame. The leak has got worse over the last four years. Huh, I already knew about it.

OK, who ever get's the Red Jett in five years better remember this.

I'll get a quote from a reputable garage, most likely go Von Bibra Nissan Gold Coast. Lots of experience.

Thanks Pal, you prolly cost me $600.00 bucks! :eek:

Phil.

Cozzm0
15-10-2016, 04:57 PM
K'mon Phil, i thought you were a DIY guy ?! You can pop the case off with the box still in the car, but it makes the whole job a lot harder.

PhilSSStevenson
16-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Ah-hem… I was a DIY guy. Now gettin' long in the tooth and sick of skinned knuckles and bruised arms. I wish I had a hoist. That would be lotto for me.

No, I'm gently rockin' the Jett towards its 30th birthday and then seeing who wants to look after it.

I am perplexed that there are no PURPOSE manual gearbox stop leaks in Oz.
I gave the Wynn's option a miss… Postage - was 40 quid from Europe.
So looking at this one. Check it out:
http://store.gobdp.com/transmission-sealer-00236/

Note that after the words, Blue Devil, are 'do it yourself'… Ah, all my life is just a circle…
The reviews, on Amazon, were all avg. 4 stars.

Looks the goods…

Phil.

PhilSSStevenson
03-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Well, tranny oil changed today. As this leak has been, I think, causing my linkage to tighten after a hot uphill run.

However, I got about three litres out and in good colour. Minute filings around the sump plug magnet. Nought to worry about there.

Replaced 3.6 litres of Redline MT-90, along with 120 mill of BlueDevil transmission sealer.

Took the Red Jett for a hot run to Canungra (Gold Coast Hinterland) and back. All is well.

However, I think the linkage stiffening, might be because I removed the heat shield, which would sit below the shifter and cook it up.
Wrapped that piece of pipe (was once where a feline roamed), with header wrap. :p

Let's see now...

Cozzm0
03-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Removed heat shields for weight reduction? or because you can ?

PhilSSStevenson
03-11-2016, 02:25 PM
It was a weight reduction thing I did. Spoke to Colin Chapman about it...:rolleyes:

PhilSSStevenson
10-11-2016, 11:23 AM
OK, verdict is now in. The BlueDevil product has fixed the tranny leak. No more there.

This stuff was like water and clear. I can recommend it. Can only be sourced from the US.

One happy camper...:)

PhilSSStevenson
30-10-2020, 05:17 PM

Oh Cozzm0, After four years, it is still leaking. Bugga!

So, as I'm doing a full restore, it's off the Black Magic to get repaired. The prop.of Black Magic had a SSS N14 once and fitted a SR20DET to it. So he's the one.

https://blacklabelautomotive.com.au

Any advice. Do I need gasket?

Cheers.

Cozzm0
30-10-2020, 06:02 PM
Its all liquid gasket between the two halves, there is an o-ring under the end cap cover, but pretty much just reuse the o-ring and goo the crap out of it and you'll be fine.

PhilSSStevenson
31-10-2020, 07:13 AM
Its all liquid gasket between the two halves, there is an o-ring under the end cap cover, but pretty much just reuse the o-ring and goo the crap out of it and you'll be fine.

Thanks very much. I might as well replace all appropriate seals as well.

Cozz, would you please advise what seals are required.

Cheers, Phil.