PDA

View Full Version : SR20VET X-Trail GT conversion

Hitmanuncut
20-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Hi all,

I've searched N14 pulsar AWD conversion and not really finding any threads on converting the pulsar with a GTiR drive train, I'm looking at throwing the VET into the pulsar but in no way do I plan to keep it FWD that would be a waste of traction, does anyone know of any threads as I am sure this must have been done already at least with a GTiR DET engine conversion?
Thanks for any assistance.

sss4me
20-07-2016, 11:09 PM
i have seen 1 n14 and 1 n15 conversion done. thats it, in 20+years. buy yourself a complete gti-r and a ve head. then we can help you send your money in the right area's

Cozzm0
21-07-2016, 09:30 AM
sss4me is on the money. The conversion to AWD is really not worth the effort. Buy something already AWD and work from there. Either way you're going to have gearbox troubles so budget to add at least 5K into the gearbox itself to have it handle big power.

Leroy Peterson
21-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Nothing wrong with FWD, with some effort put into the setup and not driving with a lead foot at the wrong time, power is manageable at the front 2 wheels.

Hitmanuncut
21-07-2016, 03:38 PM
i have seen 1 n14 and 1 n15 conversion done. thats it, in 20+years. buy yourself a complete gti-r and a ve head. then we can help you send your money in the right area's

Thanks for the reply, I will source a GTiR for sure but I was planning on a full SR20 VET as I was under the impression that it uses a drive by wire throttle setup or am I mistaken, that will make it much easier to setup launch control features as well as being more responsive to throttle inputs. Also if I have my facts correct a GTiR engine block has extra ribbing for more strength compared with the NA SR20's would you know if this is the case with the VET blocks also or have I got it all wrong?

Hitmanuncut
21-07-2016, 03:55 PM
sss4me is on the money. The conversion to AWD is really not worth the effort. Buy something already AWD and work from there. Either way you're going to have gearbox troubles so budget to add at least 5K into the gearbox itself to have it handle big power.

Thanks for your help, whilst it may not be worth the effort the extra traction offered will be was what I was thinking and I want to maintain the convenience of four doors. Starting with something already AWD is a great idea except that newer AWD cars have all gained a lot of weight and while adding extra diffs etc to the pulsar will add more weight I'm thinking it will still be relatively light by comparison via it's basic design and lack of features. Thanks for confirm what I had suspected about the gearboxes being the weak link in the drive train. I plan to get around this by designing an adapter plate using pro engineer or a similar program to get one CNC machined up and fit an Albins sequential gearbox up to it.

Hitmanuncut
21-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Nothing wrong with FWD, with some effort put into the setup and not driving with a lead foot at the wrong time, power is manageable at the front 2 wheels.

Yes mate that is all true until the engine is making big numbers then it can't be utilized effectively especially from a standing start, the new type R civic is a good example of this problem even with its modern trickery.

Leroy Peterson
21-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Depends on what you want to do with it. Plenty of us here don't have too much trouble on the track. If you're talking launches and drags, there's a guy in NSW regularly running 11s at the moment with a turbo sedan. Otherwise go the bluebird AWD auto route, will decimate all.