PDA

View Full Version : N13 Electrical Issue - needing support/advice

hbevan01
29-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Hi All,

My N13 1990 Q has lost ignition and will not turn over.

We've checked all fuses and checked spark plugs for any life, but there is no charge.

Fuel pumps are working and belts operational. The car has full accessories when key is turned and will attempt to reach ignition, but doesn't spark.

We believe it's an issue with the Coil, Distributor or anything in that chain.

Has anyone had this issue before? Where you able to fix yourself or did it go to an auto-electrician?

Thanks guys!

Cozzm0
29-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Do you have fuel being injected ? (i know the fuel pump is working, but is fuel being squirted into the cylinder?)
If you have no fuel, then the car is not knowing when to inject the fuel so it could be related to a crank angle sensor problem.

hbevan01
29-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks Cozzm0!

Yes we removed the fuel line and during ignition there was petrol. Spark plugs were also damp.

I found on a general Google search others saying a seal preventing the ECU getting oil/gunk in could be blocking the signal. Have you heard of this at all?

Cozzm0
29-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Hrm, not sure about that the best thing i can think of that relates to something along those lines is if the distributor shaft seal is leaking oil into the crank angle sensor housing, it will give a bad reading to the ECU essentially not knowing when to spark, but often, similarly, not knowing when to inject fuel either. The fact you have fuel suggests that is working OK. I would be looking more towards the ignitor/transistor/coil trigger type thing as i know they fail on the N14's. Coils rarely fail, but its still possible of course. Without having spares on hand it will be difficult to know/test.

To be honest i haven't messed around with N13's at all, so my knowledge is patchy at best on them.

Halfpint
04-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Hi,
Looking for some help here with HB's very loved Pulsar.
Some info of what happened might help.
Whilst driving through some pouring rain, enjoying unparalleled supreme handling through some of North/East Victoria's high country, the Pulsar just died ! No warning signs like a build up of oil residue on a sensor, nor any flutter/miss like water ingress into a coil lead etc, it just died.
There is no spark( we removed a plug and earthed against the tappet cover).
The cam turns over, so the timing belt didnt break.
Fuel pump shoots fuel from the filter when turned on, and plugs are damp when turned over.

Can someone help us to test the distributor module? or coil?
We dont have any spares out here, but can use a multimeter if someone can help with a procedure.
Hopefully we can narrow the fault to one part and then we can order a new one and replace it.
It needs to be on road to get to work each day, so any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Halfpint.

Cozzm0
05-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Check fuses ?

Obviously a spark issue which makes things a little easier to round down. I don't even have the service manual for N13's to check the procedures for testing the coil driver so i can't help there sorry, i hope someone else can.

Halfpint
15-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Halfpint
15-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Sorry, PC locked up when posting :mad:
Anyway, this problem was solved with a second hand Distributor we found at a local wreckers.
Being a model that was close to a change over ( N13/ N14) some parts are a little hard to order. So 2 x 100 k trips got the right result.
Now we have another problem with a rear brake issue. So see you all in that section of the forum :cool:
Halfpint.