PDA

View Full Version : 32V repair/rebuild

SSSLX
14-05-2016, 09:23 PM
I've got a VZR gearbox here and a previous owner (as opposed to the person who sold it to me) recently informed me of some issues with the gearbox that I'm hoping to attend to before I use or more likely sell it. The first issue is minor; stripped threads on some of the bolt holes in the casing. The current plan is to drill those out, helicoil to suit the regular bolts and move on.

The second issue is a bit more serious. While the box is still usable, I've been told that it would crunch a bit on a fast 5-4 downshift and would pull to the left a bit while coasting. The gearbox has been disassembled and reassembled in the past, with the most recent work being done by a workshop that doesn't seem to have had much experience with gearboxes. At the moment, I'm planning on pulling the case apart and checking it all out and would like some suggestions on what to look for.

I've priced up a few of the bearings and seals and what not, but having a bit of targeted parts hunting would make life easier (and cheaper). Any advice or guidance I can get here would be very much appreciated.

sss4me
15-05-2016, 12:11 AM
i doubt the pulling left bit is a gearbox issue. more likely a cv or wheel alignment issue.

the seals and small (rhs) bearing are easy enough, but the big bearing is hard to get if it needs replacing. part numbers are in my tech build.

http://pulsar.org.au/forums/showthread.php?265-My-SR20VE-32V-Build-Pictures-Part-Numbers-and-Practical-advise&highlight=part+number

syncro kits are available if thats the crunching issue.

Cozzm0
15-05-2016, 09:50 AM
You can buy rebuild kits on ebay that include bearings, seals and syncros, but the cost is really only worth it if its your gearbox, if you're looking to resell it wouldn't be worth it as the value added with new bearings and syncros is not recognised on the second hand market for the most part. Unless you got the box for free.

SSSLX
17-05-2016, 08:14 PM
I got the gearbox cheapish, so I could sell it below the going rate and still make my money back. I just don't want it to come back and bite me in the arse if something happens, although I fully intend to make it clear that it's a second hand part with a relatively unknown history.

Finding part numbers isn't a huge issue with a copy of FAST on my computer here but I definitely appreciate the link Enzo; I'll be checking that one out. I'd be tempted to do as much of the work as possible myself, mostly to save money and also to learn how it all works. That said, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to drill out and helicoil the bolt holes and sell it as is. Much less hassle and half of the people that would be buying probably wouldn't notice what's supposedly wrong with it. This previous owner has a fair eye for detail and has had a run on gearboxes, so might be a bit more sensitive to issues than most.

Cozzm0
19-05-2016, 11:01 AM
If you buy parts genuine through nissan its going to cost you a LOT more to do a repair.

Leroy Peterson
19-05-2016, 11:11 AM
www.amayama.com.au is a lot cheaper than going through Nissan, but you need to have part numbers.

SSSLX
19-05-2016, 09:09 PM
If you buy parts genuine through nissan its going to cost you a LOT more to do a repair.

I figured as much, but that's a given for using genuine parts in most cases. I think I'll just fix up the bolt holes and sell it off. It doesn't sound too bad for someone who wants to use it as is and I can definitely use the cash from that to get this new car up and running.

www.amayama.com.au is a lot cheaper than going through Nissan, but you need to have part numbers.

I've already got the part numbers from FAST and prices from Amayama. There's an increasingly extensive spreadsheet on my desktop with part numbers, prices and whatever else for various bits and pieces from over the years. God knows I've had enough of these things, recordkeeping is a must.