PDA

View Full Version : GTIr head rebuild

bashsharhussain9
17-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Hey guys.

( i have done research just need more input)

Fully forged bottom end motor and redoing the top end. Need a guide list or parts needed to completely rebuild the top end. as well as treatment to the block before i start? Acid dipping? Sand blasting? Just need to know all the do's and don'ts with the head. Money isnt really the issue. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

sss4me
17-04-2016, 06:37 PM
money no issue? buy a ve head with p12 20v cams or kelford 184t's. custom intake manifold and fancy exhaust manifold, and a sizeable hairdryer.

bashsharhussain9
18-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Haha **** thats impressive, but it's my first time building through an enginr so id rather do that

Leroy Peterson
18-04-2016, 08:54 PM
I would certainly be considering a VE head over GTiR if its a plausible option.

Havent had any parts cryo-treated or acid dipped or any of that... seemed like a lot of effort for unproven results. I dont know anyone who uses it for applications other than drag cars or GTR wankers.

Pick your cams and work around it. you can then decide on springs and see if you need retainers as well. With the head stripped you can see if the rockers are in re-usable condition or not, if theyre not you'll have to source some NAPREC ones (make sure theyre GTiR specific) as OEM are long discontinued.
Unless you have some help you'll probably need to send off the head for re-surfacing/decking and for the valve seats to be cut. I dont know much about valves or valve stem seals but engine builders can always look into it. I'm not sure how much turbo applications gain from over-sized valves (BC sell them) but could be something to try if going all-out. you'll need shims after fitting cams, but cant measure that until the cams are fitted.
Porting is always good too, I wouldnt bother with polishing. Takes similar time as porting, costs a similar amount and who notices the difference?

You'll obviously need a full gasket kit, its worth getting a coolant hose kit for the throttle-bodies when everything is off too. Clean the Idle Air Control Valve, replace/clean injectors etc. etc. where does it stop? :p

bashsharhussain9
20-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Sweet thanks for the imput. My valves i will be reusing as well as the rocker arms. Need new shims and all hopefully it isnt all that hard to put togethet and for getting a 20ve head. Really not that interested in one haha