PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal/cable - N15 Pulsar SSS

NissanPulsarSSS
03-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Hi all,

I have a N15 (2000) Pulsar SSS that I recently bought from the second owner (I was the original owner so I bought it back). He was going to give it to the wreckers for 300 bucks so I thought I would save it.

I think at some stage this guy has fitted a heavy duty clutch but when I drive it, you basically put the clutch pedal to the floor to be able to change gears. The pedal itself seems to have a lot of free play before I feel any resistance. I can see that I can adjust the cable near the gear box, but can it also be adjusted from the pedal itself. If anyone has some graphic/visual guides on how to do this it would be much appreciated.

Cozzm0
04-04-2016, 11:15 AM
No adjustment at the pedal (except for the resting position/pedal height stop). All cable adjustment is done at the gearbox.

NissanPulsarSSS
04-04-2016, 11:42 AM
No adjustment at the pedal (except for the resting position/pedal height stop). All cable adjustment is done at the gearbox.

Ok thanks. Is there a guide somewhere I could follow to adjust? Are there other things I should consider to look at if the clutch cable is dodge or any other part along the cable line?

I don't think its the clutch itself. It seems to grip well and doesn't seem to be any slipping?

Cozzm0
04-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Adjust so that you can still push the clutch arm slightly and hear the release bearing go "tink" as it touches the clutch diaphragm. If you adjust it so the cable is tight (and remove all freeplay), you'll damage the release bearing very quickly (few thousand k's it will start to woosh and just get worse).

While the cable is disconnected from the gearbox end, see if you can slide it freely back and forth through the sheath. If it doesn't slide freely, it probably should be replaced.

If the adjustment is at the end and there's still too much freeplay, some have mentioned drilling/elongating the holes that hold the clutch cable in the bay can be done to give some additional adjustment if the cable is good (i would only do that if you've double checked everything else is correct).

NissanPulsarSSS
04-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Ok thanks for that. This is great.

I saw this document that I think you are talking about in terms of the holes?
http://www.exedy.com.au/assets/files/technotes/TNH.pdf

I had a look at the cable. It is probably as much as I can tighten (at the end) but there is still a bit of slack. Where the rubber part it, I can feel movement there, maybe 5mm? Would that be the issue? I will disconnect the cable and see if I can slide it freely.