PDA

View Full Version : Odd vibration when turning right?!?

MdMa
26-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Hey guys

I recently purchased a Pulsar SSS N15 S2.

It seems to have this odd vibration when turning right.
It makes it very slightly when centered and completely goes away when turning left.

Any ideas?

sss4me
26-12-2015, 08:42 PM
could be simply wheel alignment out of wack. maybe book in for one anyway, and ask for a front end check (tie rods,lca's, balljoints)etc

could be a cv joint on the way out too.

Boosted VLAD
27-12-2015, 10:10 AM
When you turn right does the noise come from the left?
Because this normally suggests a wheel bearing as when you turn say right, you put a lot of load on the left wheel and a bad wheel bearing will make more noise because of that, also the opposite happens when you turn the other way, you take the load off the other wheel and the noise goes away

Jack the car up, grab the wheel with your hands one at 12 o'clock and one at 6 o'clock and rock the wheel and see if there is any movement, if there is it's time for a new wheel bearing,

Good luck

MdMa
28-12-2015, 06:57 AM
When you turn right does the noise come from the left?

Exactly!

However, it only happens when under acceleration.

When I take the car out of gear and do the same thing no noise :confused:

Boosted VLAD
29-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Then it can be the rear wheel bearing :p

You've gotta think of which wheel you're loading up when driving,
Turn right, loads left, turn left, loads right,
Accelerate, loads rears, decelerate, loads front,
Cruise straight, neutral weight distribution

(When my rear wheel bearing went, I had the same symptoms, it would vibrate the whole car going out of roundabouts ect)

Like I said, jack the car up and check all 4 wheels, I think you'll find your problem straight away

MdMa
30-12-2015, 08:25 AM
So I took my car to Traction Tyres today (I have used them previously for a wheel alignment).

The mechanic concluded that it is most likely the CV joint, as there is no noise/vibration when not in gear.
If it were wheel bearing it would be making it regardless?

So, if it is a CV joint, would I need just this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CV-JOINT-NISSAN-PULSAR-N15-2-0L-/270835052420?hash=item3f0f06ef84:g:xRoAAOSwBahVC2P L

or just go the whole shaft:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SET-NISSAN-PULSAR-N15-SSS-SR20-CV-JOINT-DRIVE-SHAFTS-96-00-ABS-Ring-/371189730633?hash=item566ca1cd49

Your thoughts?

Boosted VLAD
30-12-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm glad you did take it to a mechanic,
However, he doesn't sound like he actually inspected it if he is not 100% sure,
When the wheels are off the ground it's very easy to eliminate parts as possible causes,

As for CV joints, never but them off eBay, many people have broken them with stock power because the steel quality is so bad,

With helping you over the forum, as I'm not infornt of the car, or in it to hear it, i can only go off the info you give me,

So jut to clear something up, if your clutch is dissenguaged (pushed to the floor) you can't make the car create one bit of the noise by swinging the car left or right?

Boosted VLAD
30-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Does your car have a viscous lsd in it by any chance?
And is your car slammed?

MdMa
30-12-2015, 10:59 AM
So jut to clear something up, if your clutch is dissenguaged (pushed to the floor) you can't make the car create the noise by swinging the car left or right?

Just did this test, and no, no noise.

So, noise (from front left side) only present when turning right, in gear and accelerating.
Slight noise when in neutral steering position, no noise when turning left.

MdMa
30-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Does your car have a viscous lsd in it by any chance?
And is your car slammed?

The car does not have a viscous LSD.

The car is not slammed by any means, but slightly lowered on Pedders eXtreme 2 Coilovers.

sss4me
30-12-2015, 12:10 PM
pro play is to buy the whole cv. a RECONDITIONED GENUINE one, NOT a new china copy.

or reco the existing one, if its a genuine one.

MdMa
30-12-2015, 12:43 PM
pro play is to buy the whole cv. a RECONDITIONED GENUINE one, NOT a new china copy.

Pro play?

I only buy new parts... which brands come recommended?

MdMa
30-12-2015, 02:33 PM

So, after more reading it appears these Chinese (GSP) CV shafts might not actually be new but reconditioned?!?

I called Pedders for a quote, and they want $476 for the pair :(

sss4me
30-12-2015, 05:07 PM
the only new shafts worth buying are genuine nissan ones, and if you dont like $476 for the pedders ones, your sure as hell not gunna like the price for the new genuine ones.

ring around vic and find someone who re-co's existing one's, must be someone. the factory axles are a shade of green in colour. something to check with yours. if you get deperate, i can point you to a sydney business who does them.

papa_smurf
30-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Get them reconditioned by a mechanical shop.
I have a GTI-R and have had the front's done twice and the rears once by a company in Sydney.
The last time I had the front's done they cost me $340, for removal, recondition and replace. The whole job took about 4 hours.
Here is a good place to start in and around Melbourne.
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cv+joint+repair+melbourne

MdMa
31-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Get them reconditioned by a mechanical shop.
I have a GTI-R and have had the front's done twice and the rears once by a company in Sydney.
The last time I had the front's done they cost me $340, for removal, recondition and replace. The whole job took about 4 hours.
Here is a good place to start in and around Melbourne.
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cv+joint+repair+melbourne

I gave CV Centre a call as they have quite a few good reviews.

I was quoted $352 to recondition both sides with Drive Pro components.

I can't find any information about Drive Pro.. anyone heard of it?

luke.gonano98@gmail.com
03-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Curious to know how things are going.... My car done very similar after putting new cvs in. Raised the car done nothing. Swapped to my old cvs and fixed it :/ happened under heavyish acceleration and also going up hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MdMa
30-01-2016, 08:15 AM
I finally got a chance to go down to CV Centre for a test drive/inspection.

They seem to think it is most likely the hub and/or wheel bearing.

They have a second hand hub there but I would ideally prefer a new one.

Aside from OEM, does anyone else make one?

MdMa
15-02-2016, 09:59 AM
So... we found this issue.

Left (passenger side) engine mount hard up against the chassis.

Unbelievable!

Thanks to everyone for their input.