PDA

View Full Version : N15 SSS Air con noise?

Shawsie64
01-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Hi guys! New here.. Just bought a N15 2000 SSS, drives fantastic, great car.

Just have a question about air con though. When the compressor engages there is a slight vibrating/grinding noise, its not that loud and doesn't bother me that much but its definitely louder than any other car I've had. Anyone else have this issue and if so is this normal? Other than the noise the air con is ice cold so cant complain!

sss4me
01-12-2015, 12:45 PM
if its a high pitch metallic sounding bearing type noise its normal

Shawsie64
01-12-2015, 01:00 PM
It's slightly high in pitch and it does sound like a bearing noise so good to know its normal, Thanks for your help!

Choco
01-12-2015, 08:24 PM
I've got the same noise.When it is under load it makes the noise.I was told by an air con mechanic that it is the alternator bearing.

Shawsie64
01-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Is your sound only audible under 1000-1200 rpm? My noise disappears if I tap the accelerator at idle.

Choco
02-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Yes thats right. Get it checked out

Shred
06-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Is your sound only audible under 1000-1200 rpm? My noise disappears if I tap the accelerator at idle.

This problem was covered extensively on the old version of the site. Despite the horrible "metal on metal" sound, my car has done it for the last ten years and it hasn't gotten any worse.

I think it is best described as an "idiosyncrasy" of the car - it's so common that it's pretty much normal. In one of the old threads, I recall someone saying that many owners had taken their new cars in under warranty, demanding that the problem be fixed. New compressors did not fix it and it was thought to be some sort of resonance in the drive belt.

Shawsie64
07-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the information Shred.. Good to know its 'normal'. It doesn't bother me really and I think I only noticed it as it was a strange noise, metal on metal describes it perfectly. Its a shame the old forums were lost but hopefully this thread helps new owners who happen to come across this post!

Cheers

mad082
12-12-2015, 02:55 PM
It's definitely a resonance in the belt. The missus car has done it for the12 or 13 years we've had it. When it first did it I tried all the usual stuff. One day I got under the car when it was doing it and I could actually see the belt vibrating

papa_smurf
12-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Added to this, what makes belts squeal on cold start.

On start up, nothing, then 2-3 seconds later the squealing starts, lasts for 5-10 seconds and then stops.

Only happens on cold start.

I'm assuming the Air-con belt or the power steering belt is too tight.

Spectrix
12-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Added to this, what makes belts squeal on cold start.

On start up, nothing, then 2-3 seconds later the squealing starts, lasts for 5-10 seconds and then stops.

The Aircon & alternator use the same belt. Sometimes it can slip on cold starts, emitting a high pitched squeal for a few seconds. You may also see the battery light flash momentarily on the dash.
It's to do with the belt being loose and /or old. Try tightening it first; there should be 2 - 3 mm of play in the belt away from the pulleys.

papa_smurf
12-12-2015, 09:39 PM
The Aircon & alternator use the same belt. Sometimes it can slip on cold starts, emitting a high pitched squeal for a few seconds. You may also see the battery light flash momentarily on the dash.
It's to do with the belt being loose and /or old. Try tightening it first; there should be 2 - 3 mm of play in the belt away from the pulleys.
Yep, only happens on cold starts. Haven't noticed the battery light coming on.
The both belts are new, so yep again, could be a tad loose.
Will give them a look see tomorrow.

McWombo
06-01-2016, 12:09 AM
Rotate volume knob on stereo head-unit in a clockwise direction until the problem is fixed.