PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox popping out of first

synthchemist
17-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Hey guys,

So my sss has been popping out of first and second, it's only ever happened a few times but is becoming more frequent (i.e once or twice month). I've only ever noticed it happening when the engine is under a decent load and high revs (5k-ish plus I would guess) like going up a hill or something similar.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

I do have a noisy thrust bearing when the clutch is in if that helps

Cheers,

Aaron

Jesse
17-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Mine pops out of first under heavy engine braking, usually backing off at the same rev range.

With a Poly gearbox bush it was much worse, I would check your engine mounts and pull the shifter boot up and try to see what the shifter support bush is like. Mine was like a busted asshole and almost completely torn.

synthchemist
18-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Awesome I'll give this a go, engine mounts seemed fine last time I checked them, which was about 3 weeks ago when I gave it a service. I'll dig around today and have a look.

Cheers,

Aaron

Boosted VLAD
19-10-2015, 05:09 PM
The issue can be internal or external,

For those who have the issue only in a specific gear, it's most likely internal,
If your your problem is internal, it's most likely here where I'm pointing the Allen key in the picture,
If you look closely, there is a series of teeth which are tapered down on an angle to keep the car locked into gear,
The more torque is applied, the harder the gears mesh, (basically following the taper)

The problem occurs when the taper on these teeth starts wearing flat, or in cases of major wear start tapering the wrong way, you apply torque through the transmission and it pops out of gear,

These teeth are actually part of each gear itself that is pressed onto the pinion shaft