PDA

View Full Version : SR20 Headers

synthchemist
15-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Thinking of buying these. Anyone had any experience?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Empire-Performance-SSS-Pulsar-n14-n15-SR20DE-Extractors-Headers-Stainless-Steel-/181901878934?hash=item2a5a326696

I plan on installing a full catback as well as putting in some tomei cams, and (budget willing) upping the compression. Was just wondering whether or not 2.5" will be a bit big. Also I'm assuming this will bolt onto the original exhaust before the cat or will i need to install a new exhaust at the same time ?

Cheers,

Aaron

Radar
15-10-2015, 09:03 PM
I bought these to replace my hurricanes a while back. Plenty of people were saying they were rubbish so I figured id upgrade. They lasted three months and I took them off and put the Hurricanes back on - seems theyre actually pretty decent headers after all.

With the Empires I lost power everywhere, particularly down low - very sluggish performance. Constantly leaked at the 4-2 join, had to buy a copper gasket. Had to replace all the bolts and nuts as they were cheap and broke easily. I had to grind the 4-2 flange where it faces the block as it was hard up against it and flexing back and forth.

In the end I used the 2.5" front pipe and merge, married it to the hurricanes replacing the stock front pipe and 2.25" merge I had previously and built a new stainless 2.5" mandrel exhaust the rest of the way.

For reference I have most of what you are planning. Poncams, Nistune and exhaust.

I have no experience with Genies but ive read many glowing reports about them also.

synthchemist
16-10-2015, 07:36 AM
This is exaclty what I was after, shame that they're most likely no good, I'll save up my pocket money and get my hands on something a little bit better.

As for your engine, how does she go with all the mods ? done any dyno runs at all ? And any other recommendations would be awesome.

Cheers,

Aaron

Radar
16-10-2015, 11:11 AM
On the old exhaust it made 91kw. That was fairly restrictive, still had a stock front pipe and a 2 inch press bent cat back system. Now that its freer flowing id hope its somewhere around 100kw.

I have adjustable cam gears on it as well that are set to make a little more mid range grunt. It doesnt seem to have restricted the top end much if at all. For what i mostly use it for (daily driving and hill climbs) it was more practical to set it up for that.

In terms of how quick it is.. well in a straight line its not going to set the world on fire. It'll walk most things if they arent turbocharged or v8s. It really shines in the twisties though. At the Pittsworth sprints recently I was able to lap faster times than quite a few high powered commodores and such. Similarly at Mt Cotton. Plenty of quick cars in a straight line or a fast flowing circuit have been beaten out by the little pulsar that could. ☺

synthchemist
16-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Yeah I'm hoping to get something similar, 100kw at the wheels would be really nice. Any yeah the N15 really lends itself to being a nippy car in the corners. Thanks for the input

Cheers,

Aaron

trayeharper
29-10-2015, 09:50 PM
I've got those headers, and had absolutely no issues with them, plus I think they added a decent amount of mid to top end power.

Ethanolaholic
30-10-2015, 07:26 AM
I've got these headers on my n14, I simply had the extractors welded together at the 4-2 merge and that solved any gasket worries. Just means you have to drop the front engine support brace to get them in from underneath.
In terms if performance with poncams, and a nistune on e85 they were really good and I made 112kw atw, they have awesome flow up top but I'm sure the massive primaries hurt the bottom end a fair bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilSSStevenson
17-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Hurricane is GO!

Had mine for 10 years. Header wrapped too, check pic.

Love_em_Leave_em
12-01-2016, 07:15 AM
I have hurricane headers - it's what the exhaust shop suggested. After fitting there was more torque in mid range and high range, however the exhaust note had a 'bark' to it. So the shop fitted a small hotdog just before the rear muffler and it was great after that. Later fitted a free flow Redback muff.